Monday, April 12, 2010

iPad First Impressions

I have been using an iPad for a week now (a friend's first and now my own). With the various discussions about problems and also the glowing reports, I thought I would give my first impressions.

First, the screen is outstanding. It is bright, the images are crisp, it is easy on the eyes. Most importantly, the screen is more than large enough. Because of the way you typically hold it, the 9.7 inch iPad screen is the equivalent of a 15 inch laptop screen. Because of this, some problems turned out not to be. For example, I was disappointed to discover no iPad specific Facebook application. As a result I downloaded the iPhone version. However, after playing with the iPhone version and Using the full version in Safari, the full version on the Web has become my Facebook of choice--simply because the page renders large enough that you done need a specialized application to make up for small real estate that's required on the iPhone.

Second, the overall size of the the iPad is just about right. I find myself using it in landscape mode much more often than in portrait. In landscape, it seems to fit the hands better and two-handed is most comfortable for extended use. This brings up one slight complaint--when holding in one hand for extended periods of time, it gets heavy. However, I will take the solid build and a little more weight than making it with cheap plastic in order to lighten it. A second slight complaint is that you almost have to have some kind of cover on it in order to hold it with one hand. While the finish is very smooth, it is also very slick which makes it difficult to hold.

Third, I have heard some complaints about the on-screen keyboard. It is definitely not a full-touch typing experience. However, I have been touch-typing for many decades and I can crank out text at a pretty good clip using the on-screen keyboard. My best method is to use two-fingers and align the screen in the landscape orientation in order to get the use of the big keyboard. With this setup, I may not reach the speed I can get on a regular keyboard, but I can sure beat most hunt-and-peck people by a wide margin. I would have no problem writing an email, a moderate size paper, or even an extended paper with the iPad. If I ever need anything more, I can always get a Bluetooth keyboard. However, I'll trade the physical keyboard for portability anytime.

Interestingly, my biggest complaints deal with the applications. First, I find Safari a problem navigating. The reason is I am used to the add page control, the bookmark control, and the send to control being at the bottom of the page on an iPhone. They put them at the top on the iPad. It's like going from a plane where pulling the stick back means go up to a plane where pulling the stick back means go down. It is a pain switching between the two. A little consistency would be nice (put them at the bottom as they are on the iPhone).

Second, many apps are actually better designed on the iPhone than they are on the iPad. This is not an Apple problem, but it is a developer problem. For example. The ETRADE app has a lot more information on the screen. Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to delete it. As a result, I am stuck with a bunch of information of no use to me except to clutter the screen. A second example is the TweetDeck app. The iPhone version has a button that allows you to mark a screen as all read. I can't find a similar button on the iPad version. A final example is the Associated Press app. They got so fancy on the iPad that information is no longer in simple lists. Instead it is now in "notes" pinned to a cork board. It is much more difficult to scan stories as a result. Also, I can't find a refresh button like the one on the iPhone version.

With that, I'll summarize by stating the iPad has exceeded my expectations--for design, for portability, for functionality, and for usefulness. It has become my at home preference to both the laptop and the iPhone. The iPhone has once again become my "on-the-go" device.

Comments and feedback is welcomed.

1 comment:

amckinnis said...

Great review Walt - I think of the iPad as a laptop screen within the keyboard - but then again, I don't even have an iPod. Thanks for the review!